Saturday, July 16, 2011

Happy birthday, old man.

I'm here because of Alex.  In March of 2010, I was just starting to think about what I would do after my two-year Teach For America commitment finished.  Would I continue to teach?  I decided that I felt so strongly about teaching and the state of education in the United States that I would either sign on for another five years, or walk away.  One Sunday night in a coffee shop, about 15 minutes before they closed, I stumbled upon the Global Health Corps.  They not only had a position with the Clinton Heath Access Initiative, it was in Rwanda.  My heart sank.  It was the perfect follow up to two years out of the health sector.  It was also across the Atlantic Ocean, for a year.

Alex didn't even blink.  "You have to apply.  And when you get the job, you  have to go," he said.  "It's the right thing to do for your career."  Of course, he was right, but when I tell people that he was not only supportive of me moving abroad for a year, but was the one who convinced me to apply for the fellowship, they're often surprised (and always impressed).  But that's just the kind of guy Alex is.  Always logical, he said to me, "It's just a year.  I'll be here when you get back, I'm not going anywhere.  We'll be fine."  And of course, he was right.  He always is about these things.  We're three weeks away from being back in the same city for the foreseeable future, and I'm so excited.

But it hasn't been easy.  In fact, it's been really hard.  So on his birthday (the second I've missed in as many years), I wanted to thank him for finding the patience, thoughtfulness, dedication, patience, love, faith, and patience to make it through a year on opposite sides of an ocean, on opposite sides of the world.  There are very few girls lucky enough to have men who not only encourage their careers, but who hang out with their families while they're gone, scour the city for elusive items to send abroad, and work three jobs to save money to visit them across the world.  Not to mention that he's pretty easy on the eyes and almost as good a dancer as he is at looking distinguished in sweaters.

I love you Mr. C!  Here's to many future birthdays spent in each others company.

4 comments:

  1. You guys are so cute. Happy B'day Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the old saying could equally read, "behind every great woman is a great man", that would be Alex. We love him too.

    ReplyDelete