Monday, August 8, 2011

On to the next one.

"I can't believe a year went by so fast." - Mark, from the musical Rent
Ok, so it didn't always feel fast.  But regardless, here I am, finished with CHAI, finished with Global Health Corps.  I head home to DC on Tuesday of this week.  It's been a great year full of friends and learning and hard work and good lessons.  I'm planning on keeping up this blog when I return home not only to rant about Rwanda's (and larger Africa's) news and portrayal in the media, but also to write a bit more in detail about my experience this year.  But I won't bore readers with all that now.  For now, let's just look at a list of things I'll miss about Rwanda and what I'm looking forward to at home.

DC, I love:
  • sushi cheaper than $16 a roll and with almost no risk of food poisoning
  • free art museums
  • any museums, now that I think about it
  • the metro
  • not having to take motos as my main source of transport
  • fast internet and the ability to stream media
  • Camembert, brie, and bleu cheeses
  • movie theaters and RedBox
  • service industry competency
  • blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, plums
  • flat streets for running
  • not having to bargain for everything always
  • television - Glee, the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, House, the Good Wife
  • not having to cook everything from scratch
  • cheap booze and wine
Rwanda, I'll miss:
  • kids playing with home-made soccer balls in the middle of a dirt street
  • dancing until 5 in the morning to amazing African beats
  • pineapples cheaper than regular apples
  • 95% sunny days and dry heat
  • taking motos
  • speaking French
  • cheap Ethiopian
  • hilariously misspelled business signs (anyone for a "pedicule" and "flesh milk"?)
  • the smell of eucalyptus trees
  • drinking whiskey straight out of necessity
  • Kinyarwanda
  • mangoes, papayas, maracuja
  • the look of banana trees on a distant hill
  • bargaining prices down
  • not having a television
  • ridiculously cheap produce
  • Ugandan Waragi gin

1 comment: