Monday, November 1, 2010

Bug Invasion

The rainy season brings about some pretty interesting sights when in full swing - fields virtually submerged, muddy waterfalls that seem to spring out of nowhere, roads reduced to muddy messes. The most bizarre by far, however, is the periodic sudden onslaught of bugs. I've had this experience twice now. At the very beginning of the rainy season, after the first rain that soaked the ground, our house was suddenly ambushed by thousands of horrifying, huge bugs that I had never seen before. One was so large - about two of my thumbs put together side by side - that it had the ability to move and turn its head independent of its body. I think I almost cried. The second bizarre bug invasion happened a few weeks ago, when a rain somehow catalyzed the hatching of an army of winged insects from the ground.

My coworkers and I were sitting in our living room in Burera when we started to notice a few flying bugs. Within five minutes, there were about thirty darting throughout the living room. By the time we figured out where they were coming from - under the front door, drawn to the light from the living room - there were even more. We plugged the space under the front door with a bath towel and set about killing the ones who had made it into the house. Well, other people set about killing them, I essentially ran around screeching like girl and swatting at them when they flew toward me. Our living room was a massacre scene of disembodied wings and thrashing little bodies. The video below shows the horror that we managed to avoid on the front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment