Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Shout-out of the Week

I've managed to keep up pretty well with my feature "Photo of the Week", but slacked off on the Shout-Out of the Week.  So let's try a reboot. 

This week's shout-out goes to my mom, Victoria.  In addition to being a complete badass (she broke her foot and then managed to organize and coordinate my cousin Nathan's wedding less than a week later all while wearing a boot on her foot), she's really been great at staying in touch with me while I've been so far away. 

As someone who could generally care less about the latest iPhone or the newest internet phenomenon, I've been really impressed and grateful with how she's started using Gchat to keep in touch and just check in on a regular basis.  She keeps me updated on everything that's happening at home and really makes an effort to make sure that even though I'm far away, I'm still in her thoughts.  When she took my brother Blake and some of his friends to a UNC basketball game last weekend, she made sure that they called me and sang the UNC fight song to me, with an emphasis on the "Go to hell Duke!" part.  One day, when I was feeling a bit homesick and sentimental, I put my status message as "Gone to Carolina in my mind", a reference to the famous James Taylor song.  That night, I received an email from her that contained a collage of images from UNC's campus and a really sweet message from her.

While all of that is great, there's something that makes my mom even cooler.  In March, she'll be taking her spring break (and the week after) to fly across the Atlantic to visit me.  Even better, her oldest sister, my Aunt Joan will be coming as well.  This is a HUGE deal for me, especially since the plane tickets alone cost well above $1000.  I am so excited and grateful that she's taking the time, money, and effort to come visit me on the other side of the world.  We traveled throughout Italy earlier this year and had a blast as she showed me around a country she had known 30 years ago.  I can only imagine the fun we'll have as we explore this little country I've come to love so much.

Three cheers for my mom!  Love you!

Mom at WCHS homecoming 2010.

1 comment: