Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Help Publicize Global Health Corps' Application Deadline

Last year, on a Sunday night when I should have been lesson planning for my 120 eighth graders, I poked around on the Clinton Foundation website. I was burnt out on teaching and longed to do something related to health again. What I found was the Global Health Corps. I also found that the deadline for submission had already passed, been extended to the next Friday, and spent the next week furiously writing mission statements and begging for quick recommendations.A few months later, I was headed to Rwanda. I love my job.

The Global Health Corps seeks young people under the age of 30 (and with preferably a few years work experience behind them) to serve for one year in challenging and rewarding health-related development fellowships across East Africa and in the United States. This year, we have expanded to 70 positions, some of which are based in the First Lady of Rwanda's office! We work with large organizations (like the Clinton Foundation) to smaller, more grassroots one like Friends Women's Association in Burundi.

You can see a video about GHC here (featuring then-fellow, now my supervisor, Soline), or check out our incredible board of advisors here.

If you know anyone who might be interested, or anyone who KNOWS anyone who might be interested, please pass along the Global Health Corps webiste (www.ghcorps.org), and to contact me if they'd like more information.

Email: ali.tharrington@gmail.com
Skype: ali.tharrington

1 comment:

  1. What struck me here was your comment about being burnt out on teaching after just two years. The theory du jour is that if we just put some good teachers in the classroom (and test a lot), all the problems will be solved. Now I know you were an AWESOME teacher, and yet it took only two years for you to burn out. How sad that is, and what a comment on the state of education. DC schools' loss is GHC's gain, for sure.

    ReplyDelete