Monday, June 27, 2011

My favorite three "Kigali Life" songs of the moment

There's a folder of music on my computer labeled "KigaliLife".  It's a reference to the Yahoo group of the same which essentially serves as the Craigslist of Kigali (without the adult services section*).  I add to the folder every so often when a song played on Rwandan radio or in the clubs drives me crazy in a good way.  I did a critical analysis post of three of my then-favorites back in November.  I don't have the time to analyze these next three, but I know some of you out there love music as much as me, so I figure it's better to at least link to them.  (Not to mention lots of you probably prefer them sans-Ali analysis.)

*Although I DID once see someone post asking for information about where the visiting "And 1" basketball players were staying.  Of course, I couldn't resist the opportunity for sass, and posted a reply that although I was unsure of the poster's motivations in trying to find the basketball players' hotel, in America, it usually meant they were only looking for one thing....

Video 1: Up to the Ceiling by Isaac Blackman

Hailing from the West Indian twin islands of Trinidad/Tobago, this guy is someone I plan on buying out on iTunes when I return to the States and make more than about $1 an hour.  (Kidding about the $1 part.  Sort of.)  Love the basic concept of this song - your love's got me jumping up to the ceiling, what a wonderful feeling.  It's actually a gospel song about God's love, but you can substitute whoever you like - including Johnny Depp, President Obama, etc.  Just a suggestion.




Video 2: Jupka by J Martins

I actually have no idea what this song is about.  Based on the music video, I'm guessing it's about pretty girls and how much the singer loves them.  Then again, that description covers the jist of about 39.8% of all songs ever, so you're probably just as well off throwing a dart at a board.  In any case, if you can play this song, turn it up REAL loud, turn all the lights off, turn up the heat to about 85 degrees, and imagine about 50 sweaty people straight grooving out, you can get a sense of dancing to this song at about 1:30am in Kigali.


Video 3: Alors on Danse by Stromae

This isn't actually an African (or African-diaspora, in the case of Video 1) inspired song.  So why do all the Rwandans freak out when it comes over the speakers in Kigali nightclubs?  Because it's singer, Stromae (yes, it's an inversion of Maestro, you're not crazy) is a classic Rwandan "mocha" baby.  Mocha baby?  Milky mom from Belgium, chocolatey dad from Rwanda.....yeah, I didn't come up with the term.  Anyway, of course Rwandans love to see country representation in the music big leagues* even if Mr. Stromae doesn't have contact with his Rwandese father or visit the fatherland.  The song itself is quite sad for such a danceable tune.  You can read a full translation of the lyrics here (scroll down on the page), but a sample goes something like this: "he who says family means grief, he who says forever means divorce".  The main idea, however, that I think folks of any nationality can relate to, is "let's go out and (drunkenly) forget our problems. Let's dance."

*Mr. King of Hip Hop himself, Kanye West, did a remix/cover of the song.



So there you have it folks, three of my favorite KigaliLife songs of the moment.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment