Friday, September 17, 2010

Africa Isn't Hot

When you think of Africa, you think of this -

- right?  Searing heat, beating sun, all that.  Wrong.  It is SO cold in our little remote area of Burera that I have apparently developed something called chilblains - ulcers caused by damage to capillary beds in your extremities.  Your toes swell up, making it difficult for them to bend (and thus, to walk) and get super itchy and sensitive.  My feet right now don't look too different from this:


This is not my foot.  I have cute painted toenails.

I've had this problem in the States before, usually right around Christmas, when I come home to my mother's freezing house, but I never thought that it could possibly be a problem in Africa.  I guess altitude makes a difference - we live at over 5,000 feet.  I came here with no closed-toed shoes - only sandals and strappy heels.  I guess I'm headed to the market tomorrow to look for some steals on real shoes.

PS - Wikipedia says that having a history of these can be a sign of connective tissue disorder.  Am I dying?  Someone who knows a doctor please help me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment