Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Across the Atlantic and back.

Happy New Year y'all!

After five months of build-up, I miraculously made it to December 16th and flew out of Kigali, headed Stateside.  After a highly aggressive run down (no, not pat down) at the Kigali airport and an eight hour delay in Amsterdam due to a rogue snowstorm (I was extremely lucky to make it out) I finally arrived in DC.  Our bags didn't arrive with us, but I didn't much care - I didn't have to waste time waiting for them and they were delivered to the house two days later.   Our delayed arrival time on the KLM website was erroneous, so I actually arrived to a sadly boyfriend-less arrivals hall.  Other times, I might have cried at how anticlimactic it was after counting the days for so long, but at that point, I couldn't complain that we were off by 15 minutes.

I spent the next four days in DC with Alex, seeing friends and being completely indulgent - haircut, new dress, pedicure, etc.  I also ate - a lot.  We drove down to my mom's house in North Carolina and promptly went to see a UNC-Chapel Hill basketball game with my mom and brother Blake.  Perfect welcome home and perfect start to the festivities  The days before Christmas were filled with gift buying, gift wrapping, wine, and decorating sugar cookies made from a $1 box mix from Trader Joe's.

$1 for family peace is the best buck ever spent.
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are by far the most tradition-filled 24 hours in our family.  There are always heavy hors d'oeuvres at our friends the Evans' early in the evening, a service at church at 10:30, and then champagne and the Hallelujah Chorus turned 'up to eleven' at my Aunt LB's and Uncle Alfie's at midnight.  This Christmas marked a turning point in our family - my newly-turned 13 year old brother Blake was the last to get up.  You can't say you're a teenager until you have to be dragged out of bed on Christmas Day.

It amazing what six months in rural Africa will do to put some perspective on your Christmas list.  I was berated for asking for tea, a salad spinner, a Snuggie, and sharp knives.  I surprised my mom with tickets to Italy last Christmas, and her big present to me was trip she'll be taking to visit me in March.
He will kill me for this but I don't care because it's adorable.
I brought Alex some paraphernalia from Paul Kagame's presidential campaign, because he's a fan (who isn't, really?).  Alex conveniently forgot the conversation where we promised we wouldn't do big presents and gave me a Nook e-reader.  I grudgingly admit that it has come in extreme handy during the seemingly endless amount of time I spend in cars.

We were joined later in day by my Aunt Joan and Uncle Griff who drove up from Wilmington, which was really neat because Christmas Day is usually reserved for our immediately family, but we're past the age of  spending the evening trying out new toys.  We had a big party of family and friends, which ended perfectly with the first snowflakes of the only White Christmas I can remember.
Record-breaking December snowfall prompts gratuitous snowman building.
A few days later, Alex and I headed to the mountains of Virginia where we'd rented a tiny log cabin for several days.  Complete with a wood burning fireplace, full kitchen and hot tub.  Based on the guestbook entries, it was a popular place for engagements, honeymoons, and anniversaries.  One couple had been kind enough to share their experience of breaking the bed frame on their first night after their wedding.  Awkward. 

We spent our days touring Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home (absolutely incredible - make sure you go if you haven't) and UVA, Alex's alma mater.  The school is definitely beautiful, but really doesn't hold a candle to Carolina.  Tarheel superiority still safe, although I must admit that the secret societies are pretty cool. 

Our last few days back in DC were filled with typical running around in an unnecessarily stressed manner, and trying to get everything done before my flight.  I can't decide if saying goodbye was easier or harder than the first time, but there's one thing that I know for certain....TSA is intense.

Glad to be back online, y'all.  Hope you're all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment